Habits, do they lead to addictions in the long term?
12 Oct 2015
Habits can they lead to addictions? As individuals we all have our unique nuances in life, we appreciate different things, and sometimes a simple substance such as coffee or chocolate can end up resulting in addiction. Addiction has a psychological and physical component where the person is unable to control the addiction. A habit, on the other hand, is done out of choice, and a person can choose to stop if they wanted to. Simply put, you are in control of your choices, whereas with an addiction you are not.
Addictions range from the well known drugs, alcohol, medication and extends as far as common substances such as food.
Habits: how are they related to addictions?
– the inability to limit the use of a substance or activity
– cravings and compulsions to use the substance
– recurrent use of the drug or activity escalates to achieve the desired effect, indicating tolerance
– attempts to stop usage produce symptoms of withdrawal – irritability, anxiety, shakes, nausea (not applicable to all addictions)
– use of the substance or activity impairs work, social, and family responsibilities (not applicable to all addictions)
– has adverse effects on health, mood, self-respect
Addictions and Brain Training
Research has shown that addiction patients have clogging and fogginess in their front lobe of the brain. Now through cutting edge technology using neuro-feedback and making use of Brain Mapping and Brain Training, it allows practitioners to stimulate and exercise those specific areas of the brain. While addiction is a hard habit to kick, there are opportunities to try alternative therapies.
Cognitive therapies have proven to significantly improve and assist all types of cognitive disorders including those that are a result of addiction.
Trending ArticlesSee all Mind
- Beauty |3rd December 2023
PICO Laser: When Laser Loves Your Skin Type
- Beauty |26th November 2023
Sun Protection: Vitamin C and SPF: A Match Made in Heaven!
- Beauty |19th November 2023
The Lowdown on PICO Laser: Why the Next-Gen Treatment?
- Beauty |13th November 2023
Erasing Crow’s Feet: Time To Twinkle, Not Wrinkle
- Beauty |6th November 2023
Radiance Peels: Unveil Luminous Skin And Remove Years
- Beauty |29th October 2023
Nefertiti Contour Lift: How Combined Injectables Are Taking On Jowls
- Beauty |22nd October 2023
Botulinum Toxin When You’re Young: The Future of Facial Prejuvenation?
- Health |8th October 2023
Sleep: Pillars of Health, Sleep and More Sleep! (And Other Therapies)
- Beauty |2nd October 2023
Masculine Rejuvenation: New Age, New Man And The Rise of Treatments
- Body |24th September 2023
The Mommy Makeover: The Emotional Impact & A Confidence Reboot